Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sleep! Why are you so elusive!

I don't know what takes a person from a sleep disturbance to a sleep disorder.  I really don't even know all of the sleep disorders that exist.  I do know that most people have sleep disturbances from time to time.  And some number of unlucky people have a sleep disorder.

Others, like me, have two sleep disorders!  When I experience a significant sleep disturbance over a number of days then it triggers my lack of ability to achieve and maintain the restorative stage of sleep.  For instance, last night I fell asleep and woke up about an hour and 15 minutes later.  After that, I spent the next six and a half hours dreaming.  Last night was unusual as I woke up numerous times, but usually I only wake up once or twice and dream the night away.  It would be lovely if the dreams were relaxing beaches sipping on pineapple juice garnished with coconut carved umbrellas, but alas, they are not relaxing and are often bizarre.  Last night I dreamed entirely in sepia tone.  For whatever reason, resolving medical issues for me has significant challenges.  I have taken meds in the past, some to no avail and others to provide me with too negative of side effects.  Unfortunately, the one I just started appears to have made the problem worse.

I also suffer from parasomnia, which is a group of undesired events that happen while sleeping.  After a significant back injury that caused high levels of pain and disturbed my sleep I began having tremors in my sleep.  I am told it is quite un-nerving to watch.  My body gets very stiff and them the tremors occur, looking as if I am having some sort of a seizure.  I wake up near the end of the shaking.  This experience is not something that I find to be pleasant.

So today's video tells us interesting facts about sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment