This story is close to my heart today as we celebrate and look back on our journey that led us to today. I would say that most couple who adopt have gone through a journey intermingled with joy and grief, celebration, anxiety, loads of paperwork and every emotion possible to experience. And then the day comes and you are filled with hope and anticipation. I remember going before the judge and taking the oath to parent these children for life. What a wonderful, frightening and fulfilling journey!
We love our girls and wouldn't trade them for anything! However, it has taken a lot of love, effort, strength, discipline, tears and just plain heart to get us here. There is a man in the video that gave words of wisdom that ring so true! It goes well for a while, then things get hard, then you wonder what on earth you doing and then, you turn a corner. I think that has been pretty true for our experience.
Our girls are from a domestic adoption, but they were older when we got them. Like the family featured in the video we already had children when we decided to adopt. We have a truly blended family with older bio kids, step kids and adopted kids. We have come together in a wonderful way to be a family and we have definitely grown as a group!
I encourage everyone to know more about adoption, what adoptive parents and children go through, what those families need and how the community can (and in my opinion should) embrace and support these families. I do not believe that adoption is for everyone, but everyone can be supportive of adoption and adoptive families.
As for our family, it has changed our lives forever and we treasure our expanded family!
No comments:
Post a Comment