Ok, so this is the not so cool, but real. I really don't want to be a person who yells at my kids, but at times I do. And I find that the more stressed I am the more I am likely to yell. Granted I can always find a reason why the recipient is due my raised voice and show of temper. However, when I am thinking and planning as my best self, I would never say that yelling is the best way to handle frustration with a child. I would say that it is understandable that it happens from time to time and that kids will survive a parent who yells judiciously. I might even say that it doesn't hurt a kid to know that their parents are human and that there are limits to how much will be tolerated. Even though those things are true, I still know that there is a better way than yelling.
Recently I wrote about resolutions. At that time, I did not know what resolution I could make that was meaningful. Now I know that I will resolve to yell less. I may still yell, but I will be more self-aware of my stress and I will use steps to reducing yelling. My resolve to discipline and grow my children into the best adults that they can be, is strong. I will just do it with less yelling.
I hope these tips will be helpful!
No comments:
Post a Comment