Saturday, January 11, 2014

One Man's Trash....

Many years ago I took the children on a trip around all five great lakes.  We explored each lake by walking the beaches, wading, and climbing over driftwood.  I was alarmed when we got to Lake Ontario, because the beach was lined with garbage.  Exploring was not nearly as adventurous or fun when we were dodging used tampon applicators and various forms of waste.  I found the beach to be disturbing, because of the trash mingled in with the sand and waves.

Over the years I have heard a little here or there about the problem with trash in our open waters, but not much.  A documentary about Midway Island breaks the whole topic wide open.  Literally.  This blog features "what is cool in the world" but this topic is definitely not cool.  Chase Jarvis's documentary and commitment to bringing a voice to this issue is moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment