Monday, January 6, 2014

Uniquely Made

When I was in first grade, in the 1970s, I had a music teacher that touched my life beyond what she could have imagined.  My older sister, Marie, was also her TA one hour per day.  Marie loved her as well.  Well she moved away and we never heard from her again.

Through the years I thought of her from time-to-time and wondered where she had gone and how she was doing.  I always remembered her smile.  She had these two teeth that were turned, making her smile unique and very memorable.

Fast forward to the 1990s.  My son started taking choir in a small town we had to in rural Minnesota.  I went to meet the teacher and enjoyed a lovely conversation with her.  The rest of the day I was thinking about that teacher.  Something about her stuck with me all day long.  Then suddenly I thought about her smile.  The choir teacher had a unique smile that harkened back to the woman I remembered from the 1970s.

I went back to the school and visited with my son's new choir teacher.  I told her my story and she was amazed.  This was indeed my first grade music teacher that I dearly loved!  We enjoyed chatting about the years that had passed and my son was blessed with a wonderful music teacher over the next few years.

My wonderful teacher had gone on in her life and career and had gotten married, having a new name.  I might never have known it was her with out that memorable smile.

Today, it seems we do not have the same appreciation for unique features.  Everyone wants straight teeth that are unnaturally white.  It seems there is one image in the media that is promoted as "the" way to be.  Granted there are numerous styles, but do we appreciate various body styles or hair that is wildly curly or flat and straight.

Today's video is about appreciating the fact that we are all uniquely made.  I love what happens in this video and the expressions of the models are priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment